Friday, August 1, 2008

Headphone/Monitor Switch in a can


Frustrated with having my monitors and headphones amp on separate outputs. I cooked up this wacky and simple switcher to select where to send the main outputs from my desktop workstation P.C.


Basically it is just a DPDT switch wired up to a set up 1/4" TR inputs, fed from outputs 1 and 2 of my sound card. The switch can either trow the signal to the headphones amp or the monitors. I simply grabbed the closet empty semi rigid container I could find  (I.E: empty soda can) to house the wiring and such. In the pictures below I've only completed 2/3 of the wiring as I still have to add a second set of outputs (I ran out of female 1/4" TR plugs). Thus, in it's current state it simply acts as a glorified on/off switch. Once I get some more TR plugs I'll put it all in a proper enclosure and it will find a happy home on my desk. Build pictures bellow.





I scavenged some 1/4" female plugs from an old mixer. Bellow are all the build materials (minus two female TR plugs of course)




Here is the can with the holes punched out, I just used a flat head screwdriver and a little ub3r skill to cut "X"s in the aluminum, then simply folded the corners in.





Soldering the TR plugs:






Inside the can after all the TR plugs are installed




After the switch gets installed





And finally 2/3 of the finished project



5 comments:

Brian the Lion said...

Hey Simon,

Nice idea, I like it. Did your device increase the noise on your headphones/monitors?

It's actually a good idea to put it in a can, because the metal exterior will shield against radio frequency (RF) noise. I just wander if you get any attenuation due to the un-matched impedance wires?

Otherwise, it's awesome!

Later,
Brian

dcsimon said...

Actually I couldn't even notice a difference in noise or signal level, I've got a pretty nice headphone amp with a VERY low noise floor, and I couldn't hear any at all introduced by my switch in a can.

Brian the Lion said...

Awesome. It's what you can hear that counts, so I wouldn't bother measuring it. However, it is possible if you have an impedance mismatch in your wires, that the frequency response of the output from the can will differ from the headphones/monitors. You can measure the frequency response using a signal generator and an oscilloscope. But, once again, if it sounds cool - who cares.

Later,
Brian

dcsimon said...

When I get some more time I'll try and run some tests for hard measurements.

dcsimon said...

And finish this project of course (add the remaining trs outputs)